Rockabilly Valentine’s Day Card
You’re the One that I want by Godiva’s Dream
Valentine’s gets a lot of bad press, but I actually think it’s quite a lovely occasion to do something a bit more special with your significant other. It is also a perfect time to play with those really fun papers and stamps you use but once a year. Especially if they’re as brilliant as these two cool cats on my card. Do they remind you of anyone? I’m pretty sure they do!
I chose a striking combination of red and black - always a classic for all things Valentine’s. I also mixed in some pink accents to give it a softer touch. I definitely wanted to incorporate polka dots because of the 50s vibe of the stamps, and found a perfect pattern in My Mind’s Eye “Lost and Found: Record It!” pad. The red and pink papers came from Echo Park “Blowing Kisses” collection. Now this one is a dedicated Valentine’s pad, lots of fun patterns for exactly this (or another love-related) occasion.
When considering various options for the card layout, I always try to arrange the patterns in such a way, that they complement each other, but also make a statement on their own.
Once I settled on what I wanted to achieve, I cut the patterned papers to size needed and matted them on red textured American Crafts cardstock.
Before sticking the layers down to the card base, I adhered some black lace and some beautiful and luxurious red velvet ribbon. Velvet ribbon is not easy to work with due its thickness, but it looked so perfect on this card that I was adamant to include it.
Stamping and Colouring
These two absolutely fantastic characters, reminiscent of “Grease” protagonists, are “Danny” and “Joanie” by the artist Annie Rodrigue for Kraftin’ Kimmie Stamps.
Using Memento “Tuxedo Black” ink, I first stamped Joanie, then applied the masking technique to cover her, and stamped Danny with his motorcycle on the same piece of cardstock. This method allowed me to create an illusion that Joanie is standing at the front, and Danny is a little further away.
I coloured the stamps using Promarker, Brushmarker and Copic markers and chose the colours which complemented the rest of the project. As usual, I fussy cut the images, leaving a narrow white outline around them, in order to help them pop against the background.
Creating the Focal Point
I don’t make shaker cards very often, because, I feel, the shaker elements look better on simpler designs than what I usually create. Nevertheless, it’s been a while since I made one, so I thought I’d have some fun with sequins!
I began by cutting out a plain circle, inking it using Tim Holtz Distress Ink in “Fired Brick” and splashing some large-ish drops of water to create patterns. I also sprinkled some diluted white acrylic paint to create smaller, brighter dots and put this piece aside. This will be the background for the shaker element.
Next, I die cut a stitched circle from the same textured red cardstock that I used for matting, and created an aperture by cutting out another circle in the middle of it. I also die cut a circle of identical size to the red one out of heavy acetate - this will be the shaker window. I glued the acetate to the “bad side” the of red circle.
Once the glue was dry, it was time to assemble the shaker element. I turned the red circle to the “bad side” and adhered thick 3D foam squares all around its edge, making sure that there were absolutely no gaps between them. I then added red and black sequins as well as silver stars to the middle. Next, I removed the protective film from the sticky part of 3D foam and affixed the inked background (inked side towards the acetate). The shaker element was now finished and ready to be used as the background to showcase the stamps.
I attached the shaker circle in the middle of the card using dimensional foam and adhered the fussy cut stamps in the centre the same way.
Embellishing and Finishing Touches
What kind of a Valentine’s card would it be, if there were no hearts on it? I cut a beautiful, slightly shimmery silver filigree heart using CottageCutz “Sweet Heart” die.
I also dotted around some smaller hearts in red, black and silver, which were cut using Spellbinders “Love in Flight” (S1-004) and Memory Box “Precious Heart” die sets.
In order to add even more detail to the card, I opted for some mulberry flowers. I chose a selection of blooms in varying sizes and shades to complement the project and arranged them in the bottom corner of the card. I also added some black glitter tulle to give the floral arrangement an impression of a bouquet.
To fully complete this card, I die cut a stitched edge banner, inked the middle of it using Tim Holtz Distress Ink in “Fired Brick” and stamped “Be My Valentine” sentiment which was a part of Clearly Besotted “Call Cupid” stamp set. Finally, I added some enamel dots here and there to finish the look.
If you enjoyed this article and liked the project, feel free to share it with your friends on social media and/or pin it to your Pinterest board(s) using the buttons below. Thank you for reading and looking forward to seeing you on my blog again soon.